BR Class 03 03189/1960
03189 is a close relative of our other BR Class 03 on site, D2148. '189s long career on the main line drew to a close when the loco was withdrawn from it's service at Birkenhead on 16th March 1986 after 03 170 had returned from Swindon Works.
BR Class 03 D2148/1960
D2148 is a member of the ubiquitous Class 03 and was built at Swindon works in 1960 for British Railways
BR Class 05 D2595/1959
D2595 is class 05 diesel shunter built for British Railways by Hunslet in Leeds in 1959. This class of locomotive was not a success due to the gearchange mechanism being cumbersome to operate. As a result save one example on the Isle Of Wight they were disposed of early in their lives as freight traffic declined on the railways in the 1960's.
BR Class 14 D9539/1965
D9539 is a member of the BR Class 14 and was built at Swindon works in 1965 for British Railways. The locomotive weighs 50 tons and is powered by a Paxman 6YJX ‘Ventura’, producing 650hp at 1500rpm.
Diesel Railbus - 79960/1958
E79960 was built in Germany in 1958 by Waggon und Masshienenbau for British Railways. Five were ordered from Germany for branch lines where passenger numbers were extremely low.
English Electric EE2098/1955 '671'
671 is the 3rd "Class 11" to arrive on site at Riversway - arriving as sister loco 663 departed for a new life in Devon. The loco arrived on 16th July 2005.
English Electric EE788/1930
This 70hp battery electric locomotive is the only one left from hundreds of this type that were built. It worked at the Stafford works of English Electric, after being built by the company at the Dick Kerr works on Strand Road in Preston.
English Electric VF2160/D350/1956 '663'
1956 English Electric built, Nederland Spoorwagen (NS, Dutch Railways) class 600 number 663.
Fowler 0-4-0DM 21999/1937 "Fluff"
Fluff was the Lakeside Railway Society's first locomotive - bought by the Society to haul works trains on what was to become the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway from the Steelworks in Barrow-in-Furness. In due course the Furness Railway Trust was established and took over all the Society's assets, including the little shunter.
Fowler 4160001/1952 'Persil'
This small diesel mechanical shunting locomotive was built by John Fowler of Leeds in 1952. Works No. 4160001, she was the prototype of her class and is powered by a McLaren diesel engine with mechanical transmission to four outside coupled wheels.
Greenwood Batley 2000/1945 'Greenbat'
This unusual locomotive was constructed to works no 2000 by the Leeds firm of Greenwood & Batley Ltd in 1945. It is a four wheeled battery-electric locomotive and draws it's power from banks of lead-acid cells which are housed in the bonnets at each end of the centre cab.
Howard 965/1930 'Hotto'
This unusual locomotive is a rare example of a standard gauge Howard Locomotive. It was built at the Britannia Iron Works of James & Frederick Howard in Bedford in 1930.
Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 DM D629 'Sparky'
Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 DM D629 'Sparky' was built in 1945 and delivered to Springfields Munition factory (outside Preston) to work with sister loco 'Mighty Atom D628'. It was built to the same design as 'mighty atom' with a water trapped engine and electrical wiring in conduit.
Hudswell Clarke 1031/1956 'Margaret'
Margaret is a diesel-mechanical locomotive built by Hudswell Clarke in 1956 to a similar design as "Mighty Atom", although on a larger scale.
Hudswell Clarke D628/1943 'Mighty Atom'
Mighty Atom was built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds (Works Number D628) in 1943. The locomotive is diesel-mechanical but retains some steam outline feature such as the funnel.
North British 27653/1957 BICC
BICC is a powerful North British Diesel Hydraulic shunter. Delivered new to BICC's site at Prescot outside Liverpool, the diesel replaced a number of Steam locomotives & began working a 24 hour shift.
Sentinel 10226/1965 'Energy' ex MSC DH23
"Energy" is the new name for loco MSC DH23 - The Sentinel used to work on the Manchester Ship Canal, and was purchased in early 2004, and arrived on site on 22nd March of that year to provide backup to the existing fleet of locos running the freight business.
Sentinel 10282/1968 'Enterprise'
Enterprise was delivered new to the docks system in 1968, where she, along with her sister locomotives Energy and Progress replaced nine steam locomotives.
Sentinel 10283/1968 'Progress'
Progress is the sister loco to Enterprise, and has worked on the docks since her arrival in 1968.
Thomas Hill 160V/1966 'Stanlow No. 4'
This locomotive was built by Thomas Hill at their Vanguard Works, Kilnhurst, Yorkshire in 1966. After a full working life at the Shell refining plant at Stanlow, the oil company kindly donated the locomotive to Steamport, where it duly arrived in July 1985.
Yorkshire 2677 / 1960 D2870
This locomotive was built by the Yorkshire Engine Company to works number 2677 in 1960.