Howard 965/1930 'Hotto'
This unusual locomotive is a rare example of a standard gauge Howard Locomotive. It was built at the Britannia Iron Works of James & Frederick Howard in Bedford in 1930.
It’s diminutive size is comparable to the petrol engine which powers it. The engine powering the loco is a six cylinder side valve Dorman unit.
Most industrial locomotives were powered by diesel engines due to their economy, robustness and ease of maintenance.
The loco was delivered new to the Ford Paper Works Ltd in Sunderland. In 1968, it was transferred to Wiggins Teape Ltd, Hylton Hill in Sunderland, again working in the paper industry. It was preserved in 1972, with a move to Lytham motive Power Museum.
The loco then moved to Riversway in 2002, and cosmetic works are underway.