Avonside 1810/1918 'M.D.H.B. No. 26'
M.D.H.B No.26 previously worked for the Mersey Docks and Harbour board in Liverpool. Originally earmarked to become the main engine at the Fleetwood Loco Centre, work was carried out on the restoration of the chassis and running gear.
After arriving at Preston on 23rd March 2002, the loco was placed into the workshop to prevent further deterioration to the work carried out. When work does re-start on the loco, it is possible that some components from sister locomotive 'Lucy' may be used to assist a speedier return to traffic.
The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (MDHB), owned and administered the dock facilities of the Port of Liverpool, on the River Mersey. They included the operation of the enclosed northern dock system that ran from Princes Dock to Seaforth Dock, in the city of Liverpool.
The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board took over running of Liverpool's docks from the Trustees in 1858. The need for Liverpool Corporation to divest its dock interests to a new public body was as a result of pressure from parliament, dock merchants and some rival port operators.
At one point the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board railway totalled 104 miles (166 km) of line, with connections to many other railways. A section of the line ran, unsegregated from other road traffic, along the dock road. Today only the Canada Dock Branch is used.