Hawthorn Leslie 3931/1938 'Linda'
Delivered new to the Corby site of the British Steel Corporation in Northamptonshire, the loco was originally given the running number 21, and worked alongside many similar classmates. This loco has returned to steam in May 2015.
In the autumn of 1970, No.21 received a new boiler and axleboxes - almost certainly the last steam loco on site to receive such treatment, as the arrival of diesels was just around the corner. During the overhaul, the loco was re-painted in the standard livery of Buttercup yellow with red wheels and motion. It was also given the lettering B.S.C. standing for British Steel Corporation - possibly the only steam loco to receive such, as most were given the standard "S&L" logo.
It was due to this late overhaul that 3931 was identified for preservation, and moved to the Swanage Railway to operate their passenger service. It was at this time the loco obtained the name "Linda", which has remained with her ever since. After falling out of use at Swanage, the loco moved to the Gwilli Railway in South Wales, but the intended restoration did not happen, and the loco was re-sold again to a private owner in the North West. The loco was delivered directly to Preston, where works to return her to steam have been a success.