LNWR Ramsbottom 1439/1865 (NRM)
No. 1439 was built by the LNWR at Crewe in 1865. It was rebuilt in November 1887 and again in September 1898. The original Ramsbottom chimney would have been replaced by a Webb pattern, at one of these rebuildings, and a cab added. As LNWR No. 3042, it worked for a period in and around Liverpool Docks, being fitted with bell gear and oil fuel apparatus for this purpose.
In 1914 it was loaned to Kynoch Ltd., at Witton, Birmingham, subsequently being purchased by them in 1919, becoming their No. 4. Larger round buffers were fitted. A new boiler was supplied by Bagnalls in 1935, to the same dimensions as the original boiler, except that the pressure was increased to 160psi. A new dome top, of increased strength, and 2 Ross “Pop” safety valves were fitted. The boiler has a cylindrical steel firebox, not unlike that of a Lancashire boiler. This feature is most unusual in a steam locomotive. The Ramsbottom smokebox, with flap door, was retained.
The loco became redundant in 1953 and was given by ICI (as successors to Kynoch) to the BTC in 1954. It is considered to be the only remaining loco of the Ramsbottom era. It was stored for a while at Hellifeld, prior to the opening of the NRM at York. The loco joined the collection at Riversway during January 2009, and is on display in the museum building.
'Ramsbottom, 1439 is on loan from the National Railway Museum, York'