RSH 7485/1948 'Agecroft No.2'
Agecroft No.2 was one of three standard outside cylinder locomotives ordered by the Salford Corporation Electricity Department for use at Agecroft Power Station near Manchester where they shunted coal wagons from the power station to the coal tipplers. Works no 7485 was delivered in a goods train to Agecroft BR shed. Painted green and black lining edged with red on the outside and yellow on the inside, she was put into store nearby and did not commence work until December 1950.
The power station eventually passed into CEGB ownership and the engines became redundant when a conveyor belt was constructed to bring the coal supplies in directly from Agecroft colliery. When the surplus locos were offered for sale, AG2 was purchased and moved to Southport by road on 14th December 1982. Following intensive restoration, the loco spent much of the 1990s masquerading at 'Thomas' (or at least his very close friend)at events at Southport, and also appearing at the Preston Guild celebrations of 1992.
The loco spent most of 2004 off site at the East Lancashire Railway, masquerading as "Percy" for their Thomas events, but after returned to Riversway to haul the first passenger train during the open weekend of 8th & 9th January. This was followed up by operating the inaugural train on our formal open day in September 2005. From then until September 2008, the loco was a regular performer, however, in November 2008, the loco was withdrawn for her well deserved 10 year overhaul. It's not yet been decided where AG2's position in the restoration queue will be - however, the loco will hopefully not be away too long!