The loco was ordered in 1908 by Howe’s Plaster Works, to work between the private sidings (Howes Sidings Box) on the Settle & Carlisle near Cumwhinton, in Cumberland (as it was then), and their works at Cocklakes. This private branch contained quite a severe gradient up to the works – of which little trace is…

‘Efficient’ was built at the Caledonia works of Andrew Barclay & Sons in Kilmarnock. It is a standard Barclay saddle tank with 14″ x 22″ cylinders and 3′ 5″ driving wheels. Painted in the Kilmarnock firms usual green lined livery and lettering, it spent it’s entire working life at McKechnie Brothers’ copper smelting works at…

Andrew Barclay No. 1833/1924  ‘Niddrie’ – Ex- Niddrie Collieries (Lothian) AB 0-6-0ST had been stuffed and mounted at Broomhill Station on The Strathspey Railway. Bought by the Edinburgh Area Group, it was stored for some years in a shed in Leith Docks.

Delivered new to the Southall Gas Works as No.4 Loco, it was named Alexander in preservation by it’s new owner at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. Purchased by it’s current owner in 1988 and transferred initially to Fleetwood, and then onto Southport in 1993. Alexander’s restoration was completed at Southport in 1994, and spent a number…

Delivered new to the Liverpool Corporation in 1928, the loco was later transferred to Lancaster Power Station in 1966, until moving to it’s final place of work, Heysham Power station in 1971. The availability of high pressure steam meant that the fireless locomotive was a very efficient method of traction.

‘JN Derbyshire’ was built at the Caledonia works of Andrew Barclay & Sons in Kilmarnock. It is a Barclay saddle tank with 12″ cylinders. The loco was purchased by the Carlisle Plaster & Cement Company (now British Gypsum) and worked at their Cocklakes Works, near Cumwhinton.

Andrew Barclay 2343 is one of six 10″ Barclay locomotives that are preserved. 2343 is unique in having a boiler that sits higher up than the rest. It worked all its life at the Kirkby Thore works near Penrith before being purchased for preservation and moved to Steamtown Carnforth. In 1965 she was named after…

The locomotive was built by the Andrew Barclay company in 1902 as works number 880. Photographs taken as late as 1966 show that Glenfield was still in productive use at its owner’s site, the Glenfield and Kennedy works at Bonnyton Road in Kilmarnock. Other conventional Andrew Barclay locomotives were also used at the works.

Lucy was built by the Avonside Engine Company at Bristol in 1909 and delivered to the Hutchinson Estate & Dock Co. Ltd. at Widnes. She was one of three class B3 0-6-0STs supplied having 14″ x 22″ cylinders and 3′ 3″ driving wheels, a type so familiar for so long in Liverpool’s dockland. They were…

M.D.H.B No.26 previously worked for the Mersey Docks and Harbour board in Liverpool. Originally earmarked to become the main engine at the Fleetwood Loco Centre, work was carried out on the restoration of the chassis and running gear.

Logo_footer   
     © 2017 Ribble Steam railway

website by LATcreative