Delivered new to Haunchwood Colliery in North Warwickshire coalfield, the locomotive was transferred to Arley Colliery on closure of Haunchwood.The engine received a new boiler in 1950, manufactured by Andrew Barclay of Kilmarnock, and a new inner firebox in 1961, manufactured by Hunslet of Leeds, with a new tube configuration.
The engine was purchased from Baddesley Colliery by the Dinting Railway Centre, arriving in Dinting during July 1975. After a retube and minor repairs, the locomotive was steamed regularly for brakevan rides. The engine was last steamed in April 1981, when it was stopped for a complete boiler overhaul.
On the closure of the railway centre, the engine was purchased by the present owner in July 1990, and moved to the Fleetwood Locomotive Centre, and then to Preston – arriving on 5th April 2002.
The Loco will be returned to steam after a full overhaul in the RSR workshop.
|Working Pressure||170 lbs per sq. in|
|Diameter of coupled wheels||3′ 9½”|
|Coupled wheel base||11′ 0″|
|Total wheel base||11′ 0″|
|Total heating surface||808 sq. ft|
|Grate area||12½ sq. ft|
|Tank capacity||1,200 gallons|
|Bunker capacity||30 cwts|
|Weight of engine, empty||34½ tons|
|Weight of engine, full||44 tons|
|Minimum weight of rail per yd||75 lbs|
|Sharpest curve||250 ft|
|Tractive effort at 80% B.P||18,364 lbs|
|Loco will haul on level||1,180 tons|
The Avonside Locomotive Works was a locomotive manufacturer on Filwood Road, Fishponds, Bristol.
The company concentrated on smaller engine types of various gauges, and saw some success in exporting their locomotives all over the world as far afield as South America. One such customer was the Guaqui–La Paz Railway in Bolivia. Other engines built for overseas included a Heisler locomotive, developed for use on sugar estates in hot climes. Closer to home, locomotives were supplied to the War Department (UK) in 1915, fitted with Parsons four-cylinder internal combustion engines. The 0-4-0 type was popular, Cadburys of Bournville ordered a 0-4-0T in 1926 and the Great Western Railway were supplied with six 0-4-0Ts in the 1920s.
The Avonside Locomotive Works was badly affected by the 1930s Great Depression and went into voluntary liquidation in November 1934. The Fishponds plant and buildings were sold off in 1935 and the goodwill, drawing and patterns purchased by the Hunslet Engine Company.