This locomotive was built by Avonside Engine Company in 1923 and initially worked at the Pitsford Ironstone Quarries in Northampton. Here it carried the name “Pitsford”.

It carries a standard “Avonside” flat-sided, full-length saddle tank, which gives the ‘14 inch’ outside cylinder locomotive the appearance of being larger than it is in reality.

Otherwise there is little that is remarkable about the design, save to note that close examination of its cab profile suggests certain affinities with Avonside’s Bristol neighbour, Peckett & Sons.

When the locomotive was bought for preservation it was moved to the Fawley Hill Railway, until 1972 when it moved to the Nene Valley Railway. It later left the Nene Valley Railway and was overhauled on the Elsecar Railway where it acquired the name The Earl Fitzwilliam.

The locomotive was withdrawn from Elsecar Railway services in 2002 after ten years hard work for the railway. This locomotive was the main workhorse on passenger services from when the railway began operating services in the early 1990’s, until withdrawal from service in 2001.

The locomotive changed hands again, and moved to Ribble Steam Railway, where it awaits restoration to running order

WD 193 & Earl Fitzwilliam, during a rare outdoor visit in early 2023, whilst a shed shunt was underway
     © 2024 Ribble Steam Railway

website by LATcreative