0-6-0ST ‘Austerity’ built by Hunslet (makers number 3793) in 1953 for WD (Army) use. Stored at Bicester by 7/53 but by 1955 was based on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway based at Kinnerley.
On 20/3/60 worked a SLS special last train over the S & M then moved to Arncott workshops 6/60. During the 1960’s it was kept at Long Marston (mainly in store). Purchased by the Severn Valley Railway, it moved here on 7/8/71 after repainting green. It was named ‘Shropshire’ in 1977 and repainted in crimson lake livery.
Moved on loan to the Bulmers Railway Centre at Hereford on 30/1/81 under it’s own power. Not known when it returned to the SVR (if it did). Purchased privately and loaded on to a lorry 2/4/84, arriving at Peak Rail, Buxton the following day. Used at Buxton Easter 1984 but was too large for the short passenger shuttles then in operation at this site so was sent on loan to the Llangollen Railway 17/5/85. At Llangollen 193 had it’s blue asbestos boiler lagging removed 11/85 and was retubed and overhauled in 1986, returning to traffic Easter 1987. Returned to Peak Rail, Buxton 16/3/89.
Moved to the East Lancs Railway, Bury in 1989 via Padiham Power Station open day (it was at Bury by 15/10/89). Used at ELR in 1990 but then began a wandering period on hire at various sites including, Cheddleton in 7/92 on short- term loan, To Southport 30/10/93, To Appleby Frodingham RPS 7/94 and again in summer 1995.
It then spent most of its time working at Southport, where it was used on a regular basis until it’s boiler ticket expiry in 1997. The loco arrived in Preston on 17th April 1999, and remained dormant for some time. Work was started on it’s 10 yearly overhaul, with the cab, tanks and boiler recently being removed, along with various items of pipework.
It is planned to use the boiler from classmate “Respite” to bring a speedy return to traffic to the Austerity.