Originally ordered for the Savile Colliery nr Leeds on February 1953, the order was changed that April to despatch the locomotive to Glasshoughton Colliery, where it duly arrived in November 1954.
A ‘standard’ Hunslet 16″ locomotive (albeit the penultimate one of a very long line) GH4 saw typicial NCB action during it’s career at the colliery. It was returned to Hunslet in 1963 for minor repair work, and whilst there, it was fitted with a Hunslet Patent Underfeed stoker and gas producing equipment. It was returned to Glasshoughton in March 1964. Shortly afterwards, she was damaged in a collision with Glasshoughton No.1, a diesel, and spent her latter days out of use in the shed.
In June 1973 GH4 was sold and moved to Lakeside Railway Estates Ltd, Carnforth. The loco was again put up for sale, and it was purchased and moved to Southport in December 1982. Extensive repairs saw the loco re-enter traffic in the early 1990s, and then begin a number of tours around various railways, initially at the Battlefield line in 1994, and the onto Pontypool & Blaenevon in 1995 & 1996. The loco most recently saw use at the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire, where she was stripped in preparation for overhaul.
The loco was partially re-assembled, and a boiler-less GH4 returned to Riversway in Spring 2006.
Built by the Hunslet Engine Co in 1954, works No.3855 and owned by the National Coal Board (NE) and worked at Glasshoughton Colliery.
Originally preserved by Steamtown, Carnforth before moving to Steamport Southport