This small diesel mechanical shunting locomotive was built by John Fowler of Leeds in 1952. Works No. 4160001, she was the prototype of her class and is powered by a McLaren diesel engine with mechanical transmission to four outside coupled wheels.
“Persil” worked at the soap works of Joseph Crosfield & Sons at Warrington until 1971, when they presented it to Steamport. It was the first exhibit for the Southport museum, and was delivered onto track adjacent to the museum premises on 12th January 1972, before the opening of the museum.
After seeing some work in those early days, Persil fell out of use and was replaced by locomotives which were easier to manage & maintain. Various long term problems, including the condition of the locomotives tyres have restricted any attempts to bring Persil back into use. The Fowler was brought to Preston, and arrived on 20th February 1999. The locomotive has undergone a refresh of it’s paintwork, being restored into its original blue livery and displayed within the museum as a good example of an early diesel shunter design.