03189 is a close relative of our other BR Class 03 on site, D2148. ‘189s long career on the main line drew to a close when the loco was withdrawn from it’s service at Birkenhead on 16th March 1986 after 03 170 had returned from Swindon Works.

D2148 is a member of the ubiquitous Class 03 and was built at Swindon works in 1960 for British Railways

D2595 is class 05 diesel shunter built for British Railways by Hunslet in Leeds in 1959. This class of locomotive was not a success due to the gearchange mechanism being cumbersome to operate. As a result save one example on the Isle Of Wight they were disposed of early in their lives as freight traffic…

D9539 is a member of the BR Class 14 and was built at Swindon works in 1965 for British Railways. The locomotive weighs 50 tons and is powered by a Paxman 6YJX ‘Ventura’, producing 650hp at 1500rpm.

E79960 was built in Germany in 1958 by Waggon und Masshienenbau for British Railways. Five were ordered from Germany for branch lines where passenger numbers were extremely low.

671 is the 3rd “Class 11” to arrive on site at Riversway – arriving as sister loco 663 departed for a new life in Devon. The loco arrived on 16th July 2005.

This 70hp battery electric locomotive is the only one left from hundreds of this type that were built. It worked at the Stafford works of English Electric, after being built by the company at the Dick Kerr works on Strand Road in Preston.

1956 English Electric built, Nederland Spoorwagen (NS, Dutch Railways) class 600 number 663.

Fluff was the Lakeside Railway Society’s first locomotive – bought by the Society to haul works trains on what was to become the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway from the Steelworks in Barrow-in-Furness. In due course the Furness Railway Trust was established and took over all the Society’s assets, including the little shunter.

This small diesel mechanical shunting locomotive was built by John Fowler of Leeds in 1952. Works No. 4160001, she was the prototype of her class and is powered by a McLaren diesel engine with mechanical transmission to four outside coupled wheels.

Logo_footer   
     © 2017 Ribble Steam railway

website by LATcreative