This unusual locomotive was constructed to works no 2000 by the Leeds firm of Greenwood & Batley Ltd in 1945. It is a four wheeled battery-electric locomotive and draws it’s power from banks of lead-acid cells which are housed in the bonnets at each end of the centre cab.

This unusual locomotive is a rare example of a standard gauge Howard Locomotive. It was built at the Britannia Iron Works of James & Frederick Howard in Bedford in 1930.

Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 DM D629 ‘Sparky’ was built in 1945 and delivered to Springfields Munition factory (outside Preston) to work with sister loco ‘Mighty Atom D628’. It was built to the same design as ‘mighty atom’ with a water trapped engine and electrical wiring in conduit.

Margaret is a diesel-mechanical locomotive built by Hudswell Clarke in 1956 to a similar design as “Mighty Atom”, although on a larger scale.

Mighty Atom was built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds (Works Number D628) in 1943. The locomotive is diesel-mechanical but retains some steam outline feature such as the funnel.

BICC is a powerful North British Diesel Hydraulic shunter. Delivered new to BICC’s site at Prescot outside Liverpool, the diesel replaced a number of Steam locomotives & began working a 24 hour shift.

“Energy” is the new name for loco MSC DH23 – The Sentinel used to work on the Manchester Ship Canal, and was purchased in early 2004, and arrived on site on 22nd March of that year to provide backup to the existing fleet of locos running the freight business.

Enterprise was delivered new to the docks system in 1968, where she, along with her sister locomotives Energy and Progress replaced nine steam locomotives. Enterprise is being repainted into original green livery as delivered in 1968  for the 50th anniversary in 2018

Progress is the sister loco to Enterprise, and has worked on the docks since her arrival in 1968.

This locomotive was built by Thomas Hill at their Vanguard Works, Kilnhurst, Yorkshire in 1966. After a full working life at the Shell refining plant at Stanlow, the oil company kindly donated the locomotive to Steamport, where it duly arrived in July 1985.

Logo_footer   
     © 2017 Ribble Steam railway

website by LATcreative